Runner and chef Marcus Samuelsson shares his go-to post-run drink
Marcus Samuelsson, New York–based chef and avid runner, runs about nine kilometres every morning, often in Central Park. “When I’m running I’m thinking about structuring the day,” he says. “It’s the only time I’m by myself. I know, when I’m done with this run and out of the shower, that’s it.”
The chef – who was born in Ethiopia and raised in Sweden – then heads to his restaurant, where he’ll spend the day serving American staples like cornbread, fried chicken, and mac and cheese. But to refuel post-run, he opts for this avocado-banana smoothie. “In Ethiopia, very often breakfast is a smoothie,” he says. “This one has banana, which is great for your body right after a run.”
In addition to the banana’s potassium and carbohydrates, this thick, rich mixture is loaded with healthy fat and protein to keep you satisfied. It’s perfect for runners who don’t have much of an appetite post-run – just blend it, drink it, and go.
Samuelsson manages to run consistently despite his busy travel schedule – this July, while promoting his memoir Yes, Chef – he visited 18 different cities. His favorite place to run, however, remains his birthplace. “Nothing beats running in Ethiopia on the red clay,” he says. “I run with my cousins, and I’m a pretty good runner, but they always run the same way: They always run looking back at me, saying, ‘Marcus are you coming?'”
What you’ll need
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
How to make it
- Combine the avocado, orange juice, and one teaspoon sugar in a blender and puree until smooth. Mix in the lime juice and salt. Equally divide the avocado puree between 2 cups (the cups should be filled halfway).
- Rinse out the blender jar. Combine the bananas and yoghurt in a blender and puree until smooth. Add the ginger and the remaining sugar and blend until well combined. Pour equal amounts of the banana-yoghurt puree over the avocado puree, stir and serve immediately. Serves 2.