EXECUTIVE CHEF DAVE BERAN runs five or six days each week and afterwards, he often has to rush right into work. “Lately I’ve been on a kick of making veggie burgers,” he says. He combines ingredients from the restaurant’s kitchen into a hearty patty that helps refuel him.
What you’ll need:
1.5 cup mushrooms
3 shallots (peeled, diced)
3 cloves garlic (peeled)
2 cups broccoli (floret and chopped stem)
2 cups firm tofu, drained
2 tsp red chili flake
2 TB soy sauce
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 TB salt
1 cup rolled quinoa flakes (or oats, if you can’t find)*
Condiments and toppings of your choice***
How to make it:
1. In food processor combine mushroom, chopped shallot, and garlic. Process until everything is finely chopped.
2. Add broccoli and process again until finely chopped.
3. Add tofu, chilli, soy, worcestershire, salt, and process again until mixture resembles a paste.
4. Add quinoa and mix until bound.**
5. Make into 6-8 patties and saute in olive oil over medium-high heat until evenly caramelised on both sides.
*I used rolled oats, which worked, but they had…um…a little too much fibre. Quick oats might be a better sub. If you try, share results in the comments!
**The chef adds the quinoa right in the food processor. I had better luck doing this step by hand. In fact, I had to add a few extra oats to get the right consistency.
***I went with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.